She served France proudly and with honor. Her preserved flag and bell will surely remind the next generation of the sacrifices she made for the future!
I was quite suprised that she was much more effective with central rangefinders and elite crew than overall better Magenta class with central firing however worse crew. And she was the third in the row so in most distant position. And her 7" guns prove to be much more effective than 6" guns of Magenta class.
EDIT: it seems that ships with elite crews should not be refitted with better fire control during war if there is no expectation of several battles
This is the oldest capital ship in French fleet (2 BB, 1 BC) commissioned in 1920.
French has ability for 4" and 6" DP guns, they have none 5" DP guns.
Ship badly needed refit. Relating AA guns, it seems that refit will include:
- installation of 4 AA directors, installation of advanced directors
- replacement 3" guns to 8x2x4" DP guns, adding AA guns to 24 LAA, 30 MAA
This made ship overweight only by 19 tons and costs 6.3M.
But as both remaining ships can make 29 knots, this ship is 6 knots slower. She has largest firepower with her 10x16" guns as both other ships has only 8x16" guns. But her armour is only a little adequate, especially 4" deck. 12" can protect her against 16" guns only about 20000 yards, 13" turret armour only from 18000 yards, probably a little less as her armour is quite old. Refitting guns are possible but quite expensive so there are 3 options:
1. make only basic refit for 6.3M
2. adding engine refit and 1" of deck armour being slightly overweight by 211 tons for 25.8M - her deck would be protected against 16" guns up to 25000 yards which make her gun long range gunnery ship, which could be interesting with her slow speed
4. adding engine refit and increase speed to 27 knots being slightly overweight by 93 tons for 46M
note: her main reason is to be ready against American battleships which are slightly inferior to her
Probably best solution is doing only variant 1 refit and do larger refit only in case of worsening releations with USA.