France - playthrough Jun 3, 2019 4:39:12 GMT -5
Post by dorn on Jun 3, 2019 4:39:12 GMT -5
This will be not regural AAR, but I will show some interesting moments and discuss them.
Legacy fleet: AI generated
1/1904 - Blowing the budget
Situation starts to be critical with Germany. Tension during 1903 rose to a level when war with Germany is more about when it starts.
During 1903 after 1902 decision to laid down armoured cruiser to counter RN and USN designs with emphasies speed, armour to have dual role to hunt protected cruisers.
In 1903 there was another decision about protected cruisers. Both Forbin class protected cruisers are not deemed to be quite well balanced thus was made decision build another colonial powerfull colonial cruiser with speed of 22 knots, heavy 6" armament.
During late 1903 several things occurs in two month period. Firstly Naval Minister request 4 new destroyers which Admiralty decide to build 600 tons destroyers with 6 torpedo tubes and high speed of 29 knots. Another thing was that local shipyard offered Admiralty to build another Sfax class cruiser with 10 % discount and Admiralty accepted.
Admiralty can see 4 protected cruisers as efficient number as 1 modern cruiser will be sent to Southeast Asia, the second one will be used by fleets and 2 older Forbin class cruisers will be rebuilt to 6" guns as admiralty expect that penetration power of 6" guns are enough at usually combat range and give overweight cruisers better chance with armament of 6x6" guns with broadside of 4 guns.
As tension with Germany rose Admiralty ordered gun and torpedo training for whole fleet.
Just at the end of the year Admiralty get information that better fire control is available for use on our battleships. The main issue is that Magenta class battleships are more than 200 tons overweight so refit is expected to last 4 months with costs 1M per month.
Actual funds: 15M
Monthly balance: -2.6M
- construction of Sfax protexted cruisers: 1.85M
- construction of Edgar Quinet armoured cruisers: 2M
- construction of 4 new destroyers: 0.96M
Right now Admiralty expected that after 6 months in July 1903 that 4 destroyers will be commisioned but Admiralty will be out of funds with expected 4-5 months of construction remaining for Edgar Quinet as refit to central firing is expected during construction.
Admiralty has several choices relating to budget:
1. stop construction of armoured cruiser Edgar Quinet and start refit of both Magenta class battleships
2. stop construction of 1 Sfax class protected cruiser and start refit of weaker Guyedon battleship
3. do nothing and hope that Prime Minister authorized more funds in 6 months period
Admiralty has already start strategic plans against Germany and evaluation strenght and weaknesses of both fleets.
Actual strength of fleet is (in construction in paranthesses):
Armoured cruisers (1)/0
Protected cruisers: 2(+2)/2
Destroyers: 13 (+4)/14
So far summarization is:
- Magenta class battleships are slightly better than Wetting class battleships but long range fight about 4000 yards are preferred as extended belt could be penetrated by 6" guns in shorter ranges
- Guyedon class battleship is inferior to even Brandenburg class and Admiralty need to be caution with this ship
- both protected German cruisers are qutie a threat to Forbin class crusiers so Forbin class cruisers after withdrawal from colonies could be used as raiders
- Arballate class should be preffered as our main screen due to powerful torpedo armament, overall French destroyers are better armed by guns, but worse (Durandel class) by torpedo tubes
Question remains. What to do now.
Game2_France_Germany.7z (89.24 KB)